Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

First 2011 Finish-Primitive Pincushion!

Remember the "Make & Take" class I told you about? It was at the local quilt store last Saturday. I stopped in there after my EGA meeting and this class had just started. Only $10 for this kit-I thought it was a good deal. But, I had only 2 needles and some scissors with me and, of course, I was unprepared with any other supplies. The teacher and other students were kind and generous and shared their supplies.

Here is the result. I used freezer paper for the first time to cut out my initial out of wool. Then I blanket stitched it to the background paisley fabric (don't look too close). That was probably the hardest part as the legs of the initial are only about 3/8" wide. For the first time I assembled an emery and stitched it onto the lining fabric. Stuffed with fiberfill and I feather-stitched around the outside seams. Voila! A primitive style pincushion and my first finish for 2011.

I did stitch more last night on the Summer House pincushion. I guess I am not quite over my year of the pincushion yet. :) AND because my heating pad cover was worn out about 2 years ago, I finally sat down and sewed up a new one yesterday. (The ironing board is up next for a re-cover.)

7 comments:

Christine said...

Cute finish!

Alice said...

Cute! I love the buttons.

Myra said...

That is just as cute as can be. How neat that you just "stumbled" on to it.

Tatkis said...

Such a cute pincushion pillow! Wonderful!

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Sue said...

Really pretty!

Giovanna said...

Very cute, and the buttons complement it so well!

Lorrie said...

How lucky were you to walk into that quilt shop at just the right time. I love the pincushion. Very nicely done! Lorrie