Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Two Updates

Here is the latest on my Contemporary Bargello. This is the most fun project! It does have a lot of color changes, but I love watching the design come together each time I rethread the needle! (Feel free to click on the picture to see it better.)

I'm afraid I have been neglecting Prairie Schooler ABC while working on this.
And I finished one of the two Pat Mazu mini-stockings on the canvas below. The one on the left was finished last night-it is from Needlepoint Now's Jan/Feb 2008 issue. Beading is called for on the bottom portion of this one--but I am still undecided about adding the beads. What do you think?

The purple one (upside down) on the right is finished EXCEPT for the metallic thread. It is from Needlepoint Now's Sept/Oct 2006 issue.

I will tell you a secret-the threads called for are silks. I used 1 ply of Caron's Watercolors. They don't require laying, are less expensive, and I have many choices in my stash. Also, when I finish them the Watercolor thread gives a more sturdy feel to the stocking and I don't have to worry that I am going to snag a thread or otherwise damage the stocking from my handling of it. It seems a little strange to substitute OUT of silk into cotton instead of the other way around.



11 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the bargello piece. A few years ago I collected all the magazines but I have not done it yet. I have seen the completed piece and it was smaller than I had anticipated. Maybe I thought it should be bigger because of all the issues it took to get out the completed pattern.

The stockings are really nice too. Great tip on the Watercolors.

Deb said...

Your stocking are so cute, but I'm just drooling over your bargello piece. I can see how you would love working on it. The colors are so cheerful!

Tatkis said...

The stockings are so cute! And your bargello design is very bright and interesting!

Best wishes,
Tatyana

Anonymous said...

Love the bargello! And the stockings are cute too. Very pretty!

Donna said...

I don't know how you can resist the siren call of that bargello piece. She's a beauty.

Blu said...

Your stockings are lovely! The bargello looks stunning!

Carolyn NC said...

Love the finishes and the CB - it's fabulous!

Giovanna said...

Wow, the bargello is just stunning! The stockings are cute too.

Anonymous said...

Your bargello is GORGEOUS!! It looks like a mountain scene at sunset. Love it!

FIONA said...

Love the Bargello and the stockings too! The silks are really beautiful to work with aren't they? Have enjoyed reading your blog!

Marilyn, San Francisco said...

I have done the stockings in a variety of colour combinations, and did add the beads. The beads add a different texture and a slight sparkle.